UAN stands for Universal Account Number and this is basically related to Employee Provident Fund. UAN helps in integration of all the services that Employee Provident Fund Officers Providers to the employee. Most of the services are now made available online for the users and this has cut the dependency on the employer. Also, the UAN remains the same throughout the life irrespective of the jobs that a person change. This helps in integration of records and it also helps in ensuring that the employer is able to verify the records of a person.
There are several features and benefits of Universal Account Number and we are going to discuss the features as well as the Benefits of the UAN before we move ahead to steps and procedures.
Table of Contents
- Features and Benefits of UAN
Features and Benefits of UAN
We are going to talk about some of the features and benefits offered by UAN and below is the list
- UAN has enabled many services for the employee. The employee can now transfer the PF from one account to another or withdraw the PF all by himself.
- The employee can now also create his UAN himself with help of the Aadhaar Card.
- Checking balance and downloading passbook has also been made very easy because of UAN. It is just a few clicks away.
- UAN has a centralized database of the employee this also helps the employer in verification of records. It is certainly bringing in more transparency in the system.
- The UAN has also enabled the EPFO to send the SMS alerts to the employee. This is again another help of the people as they can stay updated with the actions on the account.
Finding your UAN Number
You need not worry if you are not aware of your UAN Number. There are different ways to find the UAN Number and we have listed both the ways below. That way, you will be able to find your UAN Number.
Finding UAN with help of Employer
You can find the UAN Number with help of the employer. It is quite an easy process. You can check with your HR partner and they will help you with the UAN number. Before you reach out to the HR, you can refer to the salary slip. Most of the employers mention the PF number and the UAN Number of the Salary Slip of the employee.
Finding UAN with help of EPFO Portal
We have discussed about the process of finding the UAN Number with help of Employer and now we will talk about finding the UAN Number with help of the EPFO Portal. Follow the steps below to find the details.
- Visit the Employee Portal of EPF India and if you are not sure about the link then you can click on https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- On this page, scroll down and click on Know you UAN Status. The direct URL for this page is here.
- You will now have to fill in the details. To begin with, you can either fill your PF Number, Aadhaar card or PAN Number. After entering these details, fill in rest of the details and click on Get Authorization Pin.
- Enter the OTP that you received on your mobile and click on the; Validate OTP Button.
- You will now receive a text message from EPFO which would have the details of your UAN Number and its activity status.
You now have the UAN Number. If the status of the UAN Number is inactive, you activate it. We have listed the details of the activation process in the section below.
Process for Activating UAN
In the previous section, we have talked about the process to find the UAN Number. What you must also know is that you can’t use the inactive UAN for availing any services. In addition to this, the UAN must be activated before the first time use.
The good thing is that the EPFO portal offers an online service to activate the UAN and below is the process to activate your UAN and get the Password to login to your account.
- Again, to activate the UAN, you would have to visit the EPF India Members Portal. We have listed the direct link in the section above. A simple google search can also help you in finding the link to Employee Portal for EPF India.
- Under the Important Link, you will find a section for Activate UAN and hence you need to click on Activate UAN button to proceed to the next step. The direct link for the page is here
- Enter the details in the form and we would suggest you here to proceed by entering the UAN number instead of the other details.
- Click on Get Authorization Pin and this will trigger OTP request. You should now receive OTP on your mobile. Enter the OTP in the designated area and click on Validate Button
- Your UAN will now be activated and as soon as the UAN is activated, you will receive a password on your mobile number. This can be used to login to your account.
UAN Account Login Process
After activation of UAN, you can easily proceed and login to the page. If you are not sure about the login process then do not worry, below are the steps to login to the UAN Account.
- Visit the Employee Portal of EPF India.
- In the designated area, enter the UAN Number along with the Password that you received on your mobile. Click on the Login
- You will now be redirected to the homepage of your UAN Account.
- You can also change the password after the first login and you can set a password which is much easier to remember.
Linking UAN with Aadhaar
The government has made it necessary to link the Aadhaar Number with UAN Number. Without linking the two, you will not be able to withdraw or transfer the PF. Hence, if you have not linked the Aadhaar Number to UAN then you must go ahead and link the two now. If you are in slightest of doubt, you can verify the link once again.
Follow the steps listed below to link the Aadhaar Card with UAN
- Visit the Employee Portal of EPF India and login to your account using your credentials. If you are not able to recall the password then you can also go ahead and reset the password.
- Once you are on the dashboard of your account, you need to select Manage Option from the Top Menu Bar. A drop-down menu will now be displayed.
- Click on KYC option from the drop-down menu. You will now be redirected to a new page where you will see many options for adding KYC.
- Here, select Aadhaar and enter the Aadhaar Number under the Document Name. Once that is done, enter your Name in the section for Name as per the Documents.
- After entering the details, click on Save Button. This will be sent to UIDAI for verification and the Aadhaar Card will be linked to your account in a weeks’ time.
It should be noted that the details on the Aadhaar card should match with the details on UAN Account or else you will not be able to link the two. In such a case, you will have to request a correction from the relevant party.
Linking the Bank Account to UAN
Just like the Aadhaar card, it is also important for you to link the Bank Account to the UAN. This would help the organization in transferring your EPF to your account if you decide to withdraw it. Also, you won’t be able to withdraw EPF without linking the two because the EPF is now transferred only through electronic transfer.
Follow the process listed below to link the Bank Account to the UAN
- Visit the EPF Member Portal and Login to your Account.
- Once again, click on Manage button and click on KYC Option.
- After you are redirected to the new page, click on the checkbox corresponding to the Bank and enter your account number in the space designated for Document Number. Also, enter the Name of the account holder. In the section for other, enter your IFSC Coe.
- Click on the save button after you have verified the details. This will be sent to your corresponding bank for verification and the link will be established after the verification has been completed.
Downloading UAN Card
With help of the EPF Members Portal, you can now download the UAN Card as well. The UAN Card can be printed and saved for the record purposes. On the card, you can find the details of the UAN Number, Father’s or Husband’s Name, KYC and a QR code for verification.
You can always keep this card for the purpose of documentation and sharing the details with your nominee will help them in claiming the EPF in case of any mishappening. To download the UAN Card, follow the process listed below
- Visit the EPF Members Portal and login to your account using the UAN and the password that you created for yourself.
- Once that is done, click on View Button and a drop-down menu will populate. Select UAN Card from the drop-down menu
- You will be redirected to a new page and UAN Card will now be displayed on the screen in form of a PDF.
- You can save this PDF on your computer or you can also obtain a printout directly. Also, verify the details listed on the UAN card and ensure that all the details are correct. If there is a discrepancy in the details, then you can reach out to EPF for correction.
Downloading EPF Passbook
With help of UAN, it has been made possible to download the EPF Passbook. If you wish to download EPF Passbook to check the balance in your account, you can follow the process listed below.
- Visit https://epfindia.gov.in as this is the official EPF India website. On the website, click on Our Services and select For Employees from the list.
- Scroll down on the page and from the section for Services, click on Member Passbook. You can also visit the page directly with help of https://passbook.epfindia.gov.in/MemberPassBook/Login.jsp
- Login with your UAN and Password and on the dashboard, you will notice that there is a PF number mentioned on the left side of the page.
- Click on the PF Number and your EPF Passbook will now be displayed on the screen. You can check the balance by adding the Employee Share, Employer Share and Pension Contribution.
You can also print your EPF Passbook with help of this process as the Passbook is displayed in the PDF Format.
Changing Phone Number or Email ID on UAN
It is important to have the mobile number updated with the UAN Account. This is because of the fact that EPFO uses your mobile number to send OTP so as to authenticate your identity. If you plan to change your mobile number then you must also go ahead and update the mobile number of UAN. Follow the steps listed below to update the phone number on UAN
- To update the Phone Number on UAN, you need to login to your account by navigating to the Employee Portal of EPF India.
- On the dashboard, click on Manage Button and select Contact Details from the Drop-down menu that is displayed on the screen.
- If you wish to change your Mobile Number then you can select Change Mobile Number. A new column will be displayed and you will have to enter the new mobile number there.
- After entering the new mobile number, click on Get Authorization Pin. You will receive an OTP on your new mobile number.
- Enter the OTP in the designated area to authenticate the change and once the details have been entered, your Mobile number will be updated in the EPFO Portal.
This was all about UAN and the services offered by UAN. For any more information about the UAN or process related to UAN, you can get in touch with UAN Helpdesk on 1800 118 005 during the office hours. The help desk will surely help you in finding the solution to your problem.