Today, it has become very important to have your mobile number registered with the bank. You not only get information about the transactions on your account but you also receive One Time Password on your mobile phone which makes it possible for you to make online transactions. There are times when people change their mobile number because of some or the other reason. In such a case, it is really mandatory to update your mobile number with the bank as well.
Disadvantages of Not Updating Mobile Number with Bank
- There are many disadvantages of not updating the mobile number and one of them is that you would not receive updates on the transactions. So, if in case, there is a fraudulent transaction on your account, you will simply not get to know about it.
- You will not be able to make an online transaction because of the fact that you will not be able to receive OTP on your mobile. This would defeat the purpose of online banking.
- Another disadvantage is that there are high chances that you will not be able to use mobile banking and you will also not be able to check balance with SMS or Missed Call because all these requests are only taken by registered mobile number.
- Some of the banks also address queries on phone banking only if you are using your registered mobile number. If you are not using your registered mobile number then you might not be able to get in touch with customer care as well.
To overcome all these advantages, you just need to do one simple thing and that is you to update your mobile number with the bank. There are two ways to do it and we will share the details of both the ways. It should be noted that you can’t update the mobile number over Phone or Online because this is very sensitive information.
The only way to update the mobile number is by visiting the bank. Below are more details about updating the registered mobile number.
Alternative 1 – KYC Form
So, the fact is that most of the banks use KYC form to update the mobile number. You can visit the bank and follow the steps listed below to update the mobile number.
- Obtain a KYC Form from the Bank Executive and let him know that you would like to update the mobile number.
- Fill in the details in the form and ensure that you have filled in all the mandatory fields. Also, ensure that you sign the form at the bottom.
- Once that is done, submit the form back to the executive and obtain the acknowledgement slip.
Your mobile number will be updated in about 2 working days. It should be noted that the lead time would vary from one bank to another. If your bank doesn’t have a KYC form or a similar procedure then you can write an application as well. We have discussed the format of the application along with the sample in the section below.
Alternative 2 – Written Application
The second alternative to change the mobile number is to write the application. You must only use this procedure if the bank is not having the form to change the mobile number. This application has to be addressed to the Bank Manager and it can be a very short application with the details of your account and the new mobile number. Simply submit the application to the bank. Here, we would advise you to obtain a Xerox copy of the application and get the receiving from the bank on the copy of the application. This will help you in ensuring that you have a proof of application with you.
Here is a sample of application that you can write. Simply replace the Information in Bold and write your own application.
The Branch Manager
25 March 2019
Subject: Changing Registered Mobile Number in Bank
I Abhay Sharma with account number 999111223999229 in your bank would like to request you to update my registered mobile number with the bank. Below are the details of the new mobile number.
New Mobile Number – 9999999999
Account Number – 999111223999229
Reason – Change of Personal Mobile Number as I Misplaced the Old Mobile Number
Request you to please update the mobile number and I will be highly grateful to you.
This was a quick sample of the application. You can choose to write the application or you can even print the application. Once the application is submitted, you request will be processed and your mobile number will be updated with the bank as per the standard lead time. If you have any other issue or if you face any problem then you can reach out to the branch manager or the customer care services. They would help you in resolving the issue that you facing with the update process of mobile number.
For your safety, never share your banking password or any other details with anyone and if you ever lose your phone, then ensure that you report the same to the bank so as to block your net banking and other such services or else the phone can be misused to make transactions on your account as well. The safest bet here is to block the SIM by contacting the phone service provider as soon as you lose your phone and you can report an FIR so as to reduce your liability in case of any fraudulent activity done from your phone after the time misplaced your phone.