PAN Stands for Permanent Account Number and this is quite an important document that you must have to carry out financial transactions. Today, it is not possible for you to make any major purchase or open a bank account without a PAN Card. In such a case, if you do not have a PAN Card then you must go ahead and apply for the PAN Card.
Before we talk about the process of applying for the PAN Card, you need to understand that the PAN Number is a 10 digital alpha-numeric number which can be issued to an individual or to Hindu Undivided Family. With help of technology, the process of application for PAN Card is quite an easy one and the process is available now. In this article, we have listed the process to apply for a new PAN Card but before we brief you about the process, we would like to answer some of the questions that people have about the PAN Card Application.
Let us now look at some of the important points before we actually learn about the process of applying for the PAN Card.
Table of Contents
What is the Eligibility for Getting a PAN Card?
A lot of people remain under an impression that they need to be at least 18 years old to apply for PAN Card, however, this is not true. Any Indian citizen who is less than 18 years old can also apply for PAN Card. Basically, any individual or entity who is liable to pay the income tax in India needs to apply for PAN Card. Below are some of the points that you must take care of while applying for the PAN Card.
· A person should be an Indian Citizen to apply for the PAN Card. Without being an Indian Citizen, a person can apply for PAN Card and in addition to this, they need to have valid ID proof to establish their identity.
· If the applicant is minor then the parents or the legal guardian can go ahead and sign the form 49 A for the minors. In such a case, the identity and the address proof of the parents are to be submitted for the application procedure.
· If there is a foreign national who needs to carry out business in India then they can apply for the PAN Card.
What are the Documents Required for Getting a New PAN Card?
There are different types of documents that are required for the application of PAN Card. Below are the details of all these documents that you might need to apply for PAN Card.
· Identity Proof
- Aadhaar card
- Arms License
- Bank Passbook or Certificate with Photograph
- Driving License
- ID issued by Central Government or State Government
- Pension Card
- Ration Card
- Voter ID Card
· Address Proof
- Aadhaar card
- Bank Account Statement
- Credit Card Statement
- Driving License
- Electricity Bills
- Phone Bills
- Property Tax Assessment
- Ration Card
- Voter ID Card
· Date of birth proof
- Birth Certificate Issued by Municipal
- Driving License
- Matriculation Certificate
- Pension Payment Certificate
· Documents Required by Foreign National
- Bank Statement of NRE Account
- Visa Details
- TIN or CIN Number
These are the documents that are required by the people to apply for PAN Card in India. It should be noted that if the applicant is minor, the parents will have to sign on the behalf of the minor and at the same time, they will have to attach their documents in the application form.
In addition to this, you will also need to attach the birth certificate and Aadhaar card of the child for whom you are submitting the application form.
Digital PAN vs. Physical PAN?
You might not be aware of the fact but the design of the PAN Card has been changed since July 2018. The new design has been implemented to ensure a higher security of the details and at the same time, it has made it difficult for the people to create fake documents. So, talking about the design changes, a QR Code has replaced the photograph on the old design. The QR code can be scanned via Phone and the photo along with the signature will now be visible to the people.
The position of the signature, photo and hologram has also been changed now but you can still use your old PAN card as the same is valid for the transactions.
Also, a new feature was recently introduced by NSDL. As per the confirmation received, the applicant can now choose to apply for a digital PAN Card and this can be used by the applicants just like they use the Aadhaar Card. This has not only expedited the process but it also enables a lot of savings because the fee for getting a digital PAN Card is much lower than the fee of the physical pan card. You can surely opt for a Digital PAN Card as this has been widely in use now.
You would now have a basic idea about the documents required for getting the PAN Card. Below is the process to apply for PAN Card and you can follow the process so as to get a PAN Number for yourself.You can also apply for a digital PAN with help of the process listed below.
Steps to Apply for PAN Card
· NSDL Website – To begin the process, you would need to visit the NSDL website. The link to the website is https://www.tin-nsdl.com/. On this website, click on Services and then select PAN to proceed to the next page. You will be redirected to the new page. If you face any difficulty in finding the page then you can click on the link – https://www.tin-nsdl.com/services/pan/pan-index.html
· PAN Application form – Once you are on the PAN Service page, scroll down and you will notice a section for Application for Allotment of New PAN (Form 49AA). Under this section, you will notice an Apply button. Click on the Apply button and you will be redirected to the form. In case, you do not find the link, you can follow the link – https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
· Form 49AA – On this form, select the application type as New PAN and then select the appropriate category. Once that is done, fill in your name, date of birth, email address and phone number. Click on the submit button to proceed to the next page. A Token Number will be displayed your reference and you can then click on Continue with PAN Application Form to move ahead with the details.
· Mode of Submission – On the next page, you will get to select the mode of selection. Select Submit Digitally Through e-KYC and e-Sign as this is a paperless method. Here, you will not have to upload the documents or send an acknowledgement either. The same will be verified via Aadhaar Details. You can also choose Submit Scanned Image if your mobile number is not linked to Aadhaar number
· Entering Basic Details – On this page, you will now have to enter all your personal details. This includes the details of the parents and Aadhaar Number. Once you enter the details, you can move to the next page.
· Contact Details – In this section, you will be asked to enter the source of Income and Address of Communication for yourself. This is the address where the PAN Card will be delivered to you.
· AO Details – After entering the contact details, you can enter the details of the Area Code, AO Type, Range Code and AO Number. You will be able to fetch the details from the same webpage.
· Review and Payment – Now, you will have to review your form and make the payment of the fee. Once that is done, you will be asked to verify the Aadhaar OTP. Validate the Aadhaar OTP and you will get the acknowledgement form. If in case, you used the second mode of application then you will have to upload the documents along with Photo and Signature on this page.
· Printing Acknowledgement – If you are able to authenticate the Aadhaar number, you will receive an acknowledgement letter. This needs to be printed and you would have to send it to the Income Tax PAN Service Unit. The address for the same will be mentioned in the acknowledgement letter. If you were not able to authenticate the Aadhaar, then attach a copy of the document along with a photo and signature on the acknowledgement slip before sending it to the department.
This was the complete online process for PAN Application. The PAN Card is delivered to the address shared by the application in 2 to 3 weeks. You can use the acknowledgement number to track the status of PAN Application and as per the update, you can now get a digital PAN Card as well. This service is available at no extra charge.
Please Note: According to new pan card rules now printing father name on pan is not mandatory you have option to choose it between mother and father. Now you can use your mother name instead of father name.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can I Apply for Multiple PAN Numbers?
No, you can’t apply for Multiple PAN Numbers and it is a punishable offence. Just like Aadhaar number or UAN Number, you can just have 1 PAN Number for yourself. If you already have a PAN Number then you must not apply for another one and if in case you have multiple PAN Number, simply surrender one of them.
Will I have to link my PAN Card to Aadhaar Card after I Receive it?
If you have given your Aadhaar details while applying for the PAN Card, then you would not have to link the two again. This will be done by Department while issuing the PAN to you. If in case, you haven’t declared your Aadhaar number for any reason, you must link it to PAN Number later.
How do I use my Digital PAN Card?
You can obtain a Print Out of the PAN and that can be used to submit as PAN Number in Banks or anywhere else. You can also carry the digital copy of the Digital PAN in your mobile device and you can use it as per your requirement.
Can I use my PAN Card as my ID Proof or Address Proof?
You can use your PAN Card is your ID Proof but since the PAN Card doesn’t have an address mentioned, you will not be able to use the PAN Card as your address proof.
There is a Spelling Mistake in the New PAN Card I received, what do I Do?
So, once you receive your PAN Card, the first thing that you should do is that you should verify the details mentioned on the PAN Card. If any of the details are incorrect then you can fill the form for PAN Card correction and this will help you in getting the details on PAN Card correction. You will be issued a new PAN Card with Old PAN Number but with corrected details.
- PAN Card Customer Care Number, Office Address, Toll-Free Contact Number
- PAN Card Correction: How to Apply for PAN Card Details Correction Online & Its Guidelines