The fact is that the life of Physically Handicapped (divyang) people in India had always been difficult because of the lack of supportive infrastructure and lack of healthcare that other countries offer. It is equally difficult for them to get a job and place in educational institutes. To help the people in dealing with this, the government has special reservation criteria for Physically Handicapped People. The people under Physically Handicapped category can get scholarships and reservation in education institutes and government jobs.
In addition to this, the government also has schemes for the physically handicapped (viklang) people which enables them to get financial benefits from the government. This financial benefits can help them in coping with the medical expenses as well
The disability can be categorized as Temporary Disability and Permanent Disability. The Physically Handicapped Certificate is issued as per the category and comes with a validity.
Below are all the details pertaining to Physically Handicapped Certificate.
Rules Pertaining to Physically Handicapped Certificate
There are some rules and regulations that are applicable for the getting the Physically Handicapped Certificate. These rules are
- The person should be an Indian Citizen
- The person must have the medical reports pertaining to disability
- The minimum degree of disability for getting the Physically Handicapped Certificate is 40
- The validity of Physically Handicapped Certificate in case of temporary Physically Disability is 5 years whereas there is no validity in case of permanent disability.
Documents Required to Get Physically Handicapped Certificate
The documents required to get Physically Handicapped Certificate are
- Copy of Old Disability Certificate
- Passport Size Photo
- Aadhaar Card
- Voter Card
- Utility Bill
Let us now look at the procedure to apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate
Steps to Apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate Online
- To apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate Online, you can visit the website for public services in your state.
- Create an account on the portal if you do not already have an account and login to your account with your username and password.
- Once that is done, you can navigate to services and click on Apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate. This will take you to the form that needs to be filled.
- Start filling the form and also upload the documents that are listed above. Once the form has been filled, verify the details and pay the applicable fee.
- On the submission of the form, you will receive an application ID which can be used to track the issuance of Physically Handicapped Certificate. It takes about 15 days for the certificate to be issued.
Steps to Apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate Offline
- To apply for Physically Handicapped Certificate offline, the person needs to visit the District Hospital with the application form and the documents listed above.
- The case will then be allocated to one of the sub-committees and the sub-committee will then submit the report to the Medical Board.
- The applicant might have to present the documents to sub-committee in some of the cases but as per the new rules, it is not necessary for the applicant to visit the hospital again and again.
- Post verification, the medical board will issue the certificate to the Applicant along with the ID card which can be used to obtain various benefits
This was all about the procedure of getting the Physically Handicapped Certificate and in case of any dispute, the issue can be escalated to Director General of Health Services in Ministry of Health and Family of Welfare.